For more than 25 years, Matthias Kroener has been on a mission to innovate and disrupt the financial services industry.
As a CEO, co-founder and shareholder of Fidor Group, he created a pioneering digital and mobile financial services technology provider. Starting in 2007, Fidor quickly became a pioneer of global fintech development - often named as the oldest fintech bank in the world.
When it was time to leave Fidor, the group was truly global with successful offices running in Dubai, Munich, New York and Singapore. It had operated in BtoC and BtoB and received a string of awards and accolades.
Prior to Fidor, Matthias had already co-created Europe’s first digital bank and online broker, DAB bank, and served as its CEO - with a successful IPO in 1999 and acquisition of Selftrade in 2000.
As a thought leader, Matthias is known as an inspirational keynote speaker. He is a successful incubator for several highly innovative start-up companies, and an active seasoned senior digital advisor, company creator and investor.
It's always good when you go to conferences and speakers are discussing real life experiences rather than reading from a corporate script. I think that helps everyone.
Sophia Furber, Reporter, European banking and fintech at S&P Global Market Intelligence
Matthias is the founder of the world´s oldest fintech bank, Fidor.
Chief Fintech Officer, Monetary Authority of Singapore
At the end of the day, it is not a tech-game, it is a culture game. And: Start with the customer. Great takeaways by Matthias´ presentation.
Strategy Director/Partner at Cognito Financial Communications
My speaking topics...
Open Banking - The Game Changer
Why regulators and technology are working hand in hand to be the strongest game changers for retail banking
Open Banking is transforming the way banks operate, how they engage with customers and the products and services they provide. It has become a global phenomenon supported by regulations such as PSD2 and the UK’s Open Banking initiative but driven by consumer expectations, business needs and rapid technological development.
Being with Fidor's BtB offer at the forefront of the Banking-as-a-Service market development, Matthias identifies the challenges banks face and discusses the key components and characteristics of a successful future banking platform.
With less direct customer interaction, new business models and partnerships with non-banking players will play a crucial role in a bank's efforts to integrate with their customers' lifestyles, interests and needs.
- How technological drivers are the key to successful participation in the new API economy
- How the Internet of Things is changing the landscape
- Why a paradigm shift is taking place as banks face the need to decouple their customer channels so account holders can do transactions through any interface they choose.
- How open banking is affecting a bank´s return on equity
- Why corporate culture and the war of talents plays an increasingly strong role in that environment
Maximum Service. Maximum Customer Engagement.
The essential guide to understanding and engaging the next generation of Financial Services customers
No organization or business can afford to ignore the digital consumer.
With roots in the hotel/hospitality industry, Matthias gained extensive practical knowledge and understanding of delivering customer-centric services and solutions. He understood early on that digital technologies will allow a superior customer experience. Having created two online banks himself (with a strong customer-centric drive at its core) Matthias has a unique insight into digital customer behaviour.
His insight into regulatory environments combined with a deep understanding of technological trends has enabled Matthias to build bridges between the traditional banking world and fintech-powered digital banking platforms.
- The common myths and misconceptions many leaders and businesses believe about the digital consumer (even if they don't know it)
- Understanding the core beliefs, mindsets and expectations of consumers and employees
- Can consumers co-create a bank's pricing? The secret to engaging, persuading and motivating via a digital community and loyalty scheme
- How to achieve record low customer acquisition cost
- Understanding the global challenge of financial inclusion
- Financial Inclusion: a global challenge.
The Future of Banking
Why your retail bank, as you know it today, will disappear
The financial services industry is currently facing a perfect storm of disruption and upheaval, and the challenges that lie ahead will require an unprecedented level of agility and adaptability.
Open Banking is transforming the way banks operate, how they engage with customers, and the products and services they provide.
With less direct customer interaction, new business models and partnerships with non-banking players will play a crucial role in banks' efforts to integrate with customers' lifestyles, interests and needs.
- The key regulatory, social and technology trends that will shape the future including artificial intelligence, robotics and automation
- Why future primary banking relationships will be invisible
- How data and A.I. will create a unique customer experience
- How tech-companies and customer-owners will take over control, forcing incumbent banks to vanish
- The skills and competencies that banking teams will need in order to be future-fit
Is M&A the Abbreviation for Murder & Assassination?
How incumbent banks can embrace and tackle the world of fintech innovation.
The financial services industry is currently facing a perfect storm of disruption and upheaval, and the challenges that lie ahead will require an unprecedented level of agility and adaptability. To survive and succeed, organizations must be ready to anticipate, prepare for and pre-empt this disruption.
In this presentation, Matthias will uncover the specific challenges faced by incumbent banks. He will also take a look at the business life cycle of an established bank and see why banks need to radically change their approach - and make some tough decisions.
- An understanding of the world financial services: increasing regulation, accelerating technological development and massively changing consumer behaviour.
- Analysing the lifecycle momentum your company is experiencing, no matter whether you are an incumbent or a start-up
- Five innovative options that incumbent banks need to consider
- The common culture and mindset traps that will set any organization on a collision course with obsolescence – and how to avoid them
- Proven and practical strategies for staying one step ahead of change and remaining relevant
Matthias Kroener featured on this 2019 episode of the Fintech Insider podcast. Matthias tells the story of the online bank Fidor, and how it was formulated during the global financial crisis of the last decade.
Kümmer Dich um Dein Geld
15 minutes a week to become a money professional
Pioneers in the field of on-line banking Matthias Kroener and Stephan Czajkowski show you how to manage your finances and what role an Internet community plays in this modern age. Detailing the biggest mistakes and successes in personal financial management, Matthias and Stephan draw upon their collective experience as a financial professional and Business journalists to help you avoid those common monetary mis-steps.
Published in Germany in 2013.